Cookeville First United Methodist Church has a history of leadership and ministry in the community.
The Methodist congregation was organized. Affiliation was with the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1857, a small frame building erected on Washington Avenue, just south of the square, served as the church's home and was shared for several years with other religious groups.
A larger church was erected on the site of the present sanctuary.
Construction began on the education wing of the church and the present sanctuary was built. Services began there on November 23, 1952.
The beautiful stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ were installed.
Construction began for the new Christian Life Center, which included 13 additional rooms for education, kitchen facilities, the Fellowship Hall, and accommodations for Jacob's Ladder.
The church acquired the building now known as the Freeman Building, with space for the Youth program, additional classrooms and the church office.
If you would like a more thorough and detailed history, contact the church office for a copy of "Spreading the Word: The Story of the First United Methodist Church of Cookeville, Tennessee."